Monday, November 5, 2007

Tipping

So I've never been a good tipper. I've never worked in the food industry so I guess I don't understand how hard it is. Plus I'll admit it, I'm cheap. Casey wanted me to blog about something that happened to him over the weekend so I could get more opinions on the subject. We ordered take-out from Texas Roadhouse. We really like their food and it's a lot easier to take it home, than wait 45 minutes to eat. So when he went to pay, the girl handed him the receipt to sign with the total circled. She said, "Make sure you fill out the top and the bottom." This annoyed Casey because he wasn't going to tip her. We both don't understand why we should tip for take-out. What do they do anyways? Doesn't the cook box the food up? We didn't feel she had done enough to earn a tip. What do you think? Anyone who's worked in the food business or knows what this girl actually does, let me know. And if so, how much should I tip?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow, I could have written this post. I have actually gotten into fights with former waitresses because I don't think it's necessary to leave large tips. I have considered getting a waitressing job just to see how hard it really can be. I would NOT tip someone just for handing me my takeout. Do you tip the Arby's or Wendy's workers? NO!!! They do the same thing essentially as the girl handing me my takeout and therefore, she would NOT have gotten a tip from me.

Missy said...

You two are totally cheap! It is customary to tip the take out person at least 10%. The reason being is they do box the food, get your condiments, silverware ect. and make the effort to get it from the back and deliver it to you. I worked in the food industry for a while and totally hated doing take-outs for that same reason that people don't tip. It still takes time to do to go's when you could be serving tables. So there you have it!

Casey said...

Is it like that at all sit down places because someone told me tonight that the take-out person makes minimum wage and not the $2.13 like the waitress/waiter does. If this is the case then I was told that the tips are not required but simply appreciated. My next question was then how much. For a person who is already making minimum wage then a $1-2 tip is okay. I think the problem with tipping the take-out person is that the public (me) is not correctly informed of the exact duties of that person. If I knew.... I would tip accordingly. It's universal knowledge that 15-20% is the standard for sit down tips. The restraunts should inform the public that 5% is good for take-out. It's brain dead people like me who do not know these things. Thanks for the suggestions... keep'em rolling cause this issue really bothered me over the weekend.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are cheap at all. Do you tip at Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc? Aren't they doing the same thing and earning the same wage? However one good reason to always fill in the tip area (even with a zero if desired)is that they may fill it in after you give it back to them. This happened to my mom on a take out order. The lady tipped herself $20.

Ashlee said...

Thanks for the comments. That's a good point you guys make about the fast food workers. And I can't believe that happened to your mom Mandy. I had never thought of that.

J Decker said...

Don't pay it! First of all, tipping has mutated into some ugly beast in this day and age. Didn't it use to be something you did when the waiter/waitress was particularly helpful and friendly? Nowadays it seems to be something that's required. Why? It's a tip. If the person isn't giving me good service, or service that is supposed to be rendered because it's their job, then they don't need a tip. I wouldn't pay unless they went out of their way to make it more helpful than usual.

Anonymous said...

Ash,
I thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.whatwoulderindo.com/2007/09/take-on-takeout.html

This is a post written by Erin (Skeen) Burton. Do you remember her? Anyway, I thought I was having Deja Vu when I read it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is the link

http://www.whatwoulderindo.com/2007/09/take-on-takeout.html

Anonymous said...

I don't know why the link isn't showing up right. The last part should say take-on-takeout.html