A few years ago I felt the way some of you may feel about celebrating Christmas before December. I would get irritated with the stores for bringing decorations out and I refused to listen to Christmas music until December 1st. But recently I've had a change of heart. Let me explain my opinion on the matter. Christmas is my most favorite holiday of the year. I love everything about it. I love the sights and the smells. I love getting together with family and celebrating our Savior's birth. People are nicer and more giving. I love the feeling I get when I give. I love bundling up and drinking hot chocolate. I love all the Christmas decorations and looking at our tree every night before bed. And I do enjoy getting presents too. Who doesn't? As much as I think Thanksgiving is important I just don't know that it needs a whole month of celebration. So I came up with a pretty good idea. Why not combine the two holidays? They go so well together. I think we should still have a day to be thankful for what we have, but why can't we be celebrating Christmas at the same time? At first I wasn't sure this was a good idea. But every year I decide it's ok it just makes more sense to me. Christmas music makes me happy, so why not listen to it more than 30 days a year? I don't put my decorations up until after Thanksgiving. But I embrace the fact that stores are celebrating early and I'm not annoyed anymore. I know that some people will still disagree with me. I've had many discussions with people on the subject. Slowly I may be converting some to my way of thinking. Let me know your feelings on this. As for me...bring on the egg nog and hot chocolate!
I am a full-time mom of three kids. I have a seven year old music-loving girly girl, a five year old silly little boy who's always making us laugh, and a baby who has added lots of joy and love to our home. I'm married to a hard-working, sports-obsessed, family-loving guy. He's a great dad and he's always there for me whenever I need him. I'm on the verge of insanity most of the time, but I love my life and wouldn't want it any other way.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
When does Christmas start?
A few years ago I felt the way some of you may feel about celebrating Christmas before December. I would get irritated with the stores for bringing decorations out and I refused to listen to Christmas music until December 1st. But recently I've had a change of heart. Let me explain my opinion on the matter. Christmas is my most favorite holiday of the year. I love everything about it. I love the sights and the smells. I love getting together with family and celebrating our Savior's birth. People are nicer and more giving. I love the feeling I get when I give. I love bundling up and drinking hot chocolate. I love all the Christmas decorations and looking at our tree every night before bed. And I do enjoy getting presents too. Who doesn't? As much as I think Thanksgiving is important I just don't know that it needs a whole month of celebration. So I came up with a pretty good idea. Why not combine the two holidays? They go so well together. I think we should still have a day to be thankful for what we have, but why can't we be celebrating Christmas at the same time? At first I wasn't sure this was a good idea. But every year I decide it's ok it just makes more sense to me. Christmas music makes me happy, so why not listen to it more than 30 days a year? I don't put my decorations up until after Thanksgiving. But I embrace the fact that stores are celebrating early and I'm not annoyed anymore. I know that some people will still disagree with me. I've had many discussions with people on the subject. Slowly I may be converting some to my way of thinking. Let me know your feelings on this. As for me...bring on the egg nog and hot chocolate!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree completely! The season is just too short as it is and it's my favorite one of the year, so why not extend it?
Also,
Hot chocolate from my Cocoa Latte is also one of my favorite things.
I think you are right Ashlee. I have to say Christmas comes to fast and so we need a little more time to enjoy it. But I don't want to put up decorations just yet. For one thing it is alot of work. Love ya, Mom
Post a Comment