Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I'm an awesome wife...

It's that time of year again....football season. If you're married to a crazy, sports-obsessed husband like I am, then you know exactly what this means.

Before I was married I made a list of all the traits I wanted in my husband (thank you Young Women leaders.) When I was dating Casey I would pull out my list and see how well he fit my requirements. It had your generic good traits on it...hard working, honest, sense of humor, loves kids...but I also stated that I wanted a husband who was athletic and liked sports. Growing up I always loved playing sports with my family and my brother's friends. The only sport I ever watched on TV was basketball (I had a crush on Bryon Russell, loved Hornacek and Stockton too.) So when I met Casey I was happy to find out that he liked playing and watching sports too. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. The first few years of marriage we had quite a few 'discussions' about his obsession with the Dallas Cowboys. Many times I remember telling him that I felt he "loved the Cowboys more than he loved me" ...I know, typical girl moment. However, as the years have passed he has learned how to balance his love of the game with his home responsibilities. Thanks to DVR (love you!) he can be more flexible with when he chooses to watch the games.

Here's the part where I'm an awesome wife. Four or five years ago we were introduced to Fantasy Football. At first it was a Pro Pick'em game we played with my family. I really enjoyed playing it...and I was pretty good at it too. In fact, one year I was in 3 leagues and I won all of them. You see, to me it's just a game. I look at the stats, calculate the greatest advantage, and pick that team. I'm unbiased and choose only the team I feel has the best chance of winning (you also have to pick confidence points which makes it a bit harder.) Anyways, now we play actual fantasy football with a drafted team of players who earn points based on how they play each week. I hate to admit how much I really enjoy it. Sometimes I even watch Sports Center (ESPN) with Casey. So even though I don't love football and I can only handle watching 20-30 minutes of a game, I really like fantasy football. Me and Casey discuss our teams and talk about who won and which players are doing good. It's nice to share part of his love of football with him. I still complain at times, but I also am more understanding. And by the time January rolls around I'm more than ready for it to be over. But for now I'm excited about my teams and hopefully I will have a good year. So wish me luck and let me know if you have any fantasy football tips I can use.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awesome Ash. I know I'm not as sports crazy as Case is, but I still like them, and I hope I can find a wife who likes them too ;)

10zfam said...

ha, that's pretty cool that you do fantasy football. my husbands brothers all do it but my husband hasn't ever gotten into it.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

I LOVE fantasy football. I am not a big sport watching fan but I love watching football now that I have people to cheer and root for. As far as tips, make sure you go in and select better defensive players for your draft. For some reason it seems to pull the crappy ones first. My strategy has always been to go for the people no one else does....ie. I go for the Chicago Bears who get you like up to 70 points a game and some good defensive people. I think it is better to have a lot of average people than the number one quarter back. Good luck we will have to keep in touch with how you are doing!

Stacey said...

Sounds like fun. I've never played fantasy football but I'm glad it's something you can enjoy together. :)

Mandy said...

You are an awesome wife!

Lisa said...

Zack is the same way! I have a love hate relationship with football. I don't mind watching it but I hate when life cannot happen in the middle of a game. We also have DVR and I often remind Zack that he can change a diaper and not miss anything thanks to the rewind button.