Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yay for Shawn Johnson and Micheal Phelps!

Don't you just love watching these two compete! They are so amazing and inspirational. It's hard for me to comprehend how they can be so good. I haven't watched the past two Olympics very much so it's been a lot of fun to watch them again. I just happened to catch the men's swimming relay Sunday night. I knew it was at 10:30 but I got distracted. It was so awesome to see them pull it out in the last seconds. They were so excited. Even after the replays I had a hard time seeing him touch the wall before the French dude, it was sooo close!

And then there's women's gymnastics. Sunday night was a disaster but I felt that they might be able to get it together for the Finals. At first it seemed they might have a chance, then they kind of fell apart. They seemed nervous and unfocused. It was sad to see them lose but at least they won the silver (I'm trying to forget the saying, "Second place is first loser.") I'm excited to see the Women's All-around competition. I think Shawn has a really good chance of getting the gold medal. She's just so much fun to watch.

By the way, what's with the Chinese lying about everything?? There's the Opening Ceremony lies...fake fireworks and the little lip-syncing singer. I can't believe they wouldn't let the little girl with the awesome voice sing. Then there's the controversy about the age of their "women" gymnasts. I can't imagine that they would lie about this one but those girls look so young. And in a country where being the best at what you do is a very big deal, I definitely wouldn't put it past them.

P.S. Thank you, thank you Inventor of DVR! I definitely don't have time to watch 5+ hours of Olympics each day. This invention, in my opinion, will go down as one of the greatest in history.

3 comments:

Amy B. said...

I think Michael Phelps is so annoying and cocky...Yeah he is good but he is no American Hero in my book...did you see that little snippet they did on him at his home...Lazy boy! Just my opinion. Oh, and what did you mean by them lying during the opening ceremonies...I'm confused.

Ashlee said...

I was going to include the links to the stories about China lying but I forgot. You could do a google search to get the details. Some of the fireworks were digital. The story of the little girl not being able to sing because she wasn't "cute" enough is sad. They had a "cuter" girl lip sing the song. I don't know if that clears it up. And about Michael Phelps, I think he has a reason to be cocky. He could be a bit more humble but I think you have to be a certain way to be so good.

Carlee Hoopes said...

I agree. I am addicted to the Olympics. I was sad that Shawn didn't get the gold last night. :( Anyway, I didn't hear about those lying stories either. That was funny seeing you guys at the airport last night. I watched the reunion from the windows outside. Was that Brennan wearing the cowboy hat? I saw your dad and your mom but not Brennan. Anyway, that's neat. You'll have to let us all know how it went.