Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why do I hate to decorate?

Casey has complained for a long time that I need to decorate our house. I know, usually the woman is the one who wants to decorate. Not in this relationship. However, I do have my reasons. First of all, I choose to spend our money on other necessities. I don't think he realizes just how much it costs to decorate. I guess when I think about it, it just seems overwhelming. I just didn't get the creative genes in the family. *Interesting fact: My brother Jake, who's two years younger than me, is completely right-brained. He's creative, loves to write, and is very artistic. On the other hand, I am left-brained. I am completely opposite of him. So together we make a well-rounded individual.* Back to decorating...so right now I'm sitting on the couch watching Casey paint our family room. Last week I took one of our big pictures off the wall. It was an engagement picture and since we've been married a long time I figured it needed to be taken down. Without this picture our family room looked even more plain. So Casey gave me a week to pick out paint. I was stressed out just thinking about it. So I went to the paint store and they were very helpful. I even got excited when I saw some of the colors. The color we picked is called "Knapweed." It's a brownish-tan color. It looks good so far. I have a habit of knit-picking every little detail so I am going to try not to do that. Hopefully this will motivate me to start decorating more. I want my house to be warm and inviting. How do you feel about decorating/painting?

6 comments:

Carlee Hoopes said...

I HATE it! I am like you, very left brained. Kory understands decorating more than I do, so he does all the painting.

Anonymous said...

I hate it too! I have lived here for over a year and all of my walls are still a blank canvas.

Becky said...

I love decorating, but I don't think I'm very good at it. By the way, I'm excited you want to join my work-out blog. I need your e-mail address to invite you. Just leave it in a comment or email it to me. beckysquire@gmail.com

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

I am like you Ashlee. We have lived in our house for two years now and never painted. My problem is not wanting to do all the prep work to do it. I agree that it makes a big difference and my house could probably look a lot nicer. I am not right brained either and don't put things together. I have to see it first to try it. My husband is more of the artist! Good luck with the painting.

Lisa said...

I don't mind decorating but, I don't want to put anything up unless I think it will look perfect and I would have to spend a lot of money reach the level of perfection.

oh by the way I tagged you on my blog...

C and C Young said...

Hey Ashlee! This is Cassi and I saw your link on a bunch of blogs (you popular girl) so I just had to say hi and comment. I hope you don't mind. My husband is the decorator in our household as well because I am just not inclined that way. He even put up the border in our nursery because I put it off for so long.