Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Lovin Heart Day!

In honor of the upcoming holiday, I decided to share a story of love with you. It was a cold Christmas Eve night in 2001. I had been dating Casey for a year. You should hear how we met! That's a story for another day though....so I had been dating this handsome young man for awhile. We were at that point all relationships eventually come to. Some big decisions needed to be made. I had been at work all day that Christmas Eve. I knew I had to get to Casey's family party because he had made a big deal about me being there to play this "fun game" they play every year. After some very last minute customers, I'm no longer a people person after that job, I finally arrived at the party. They have this traditional white elephant game they play every year. They also bring this one Rudolph thing back every year with something hidden inside it. Whoever gets it has to bring it back the next year. They started with the oldest and went down the line. By the time it got to me there were only two presents left, the reindeer thing and something else. I thought it might be a little much if I took the family tradition present so I was seriously contemplating the other one. As I sat there trying to decide some of the family tried to sway me a certain way. Some were saying to take the basic present, not the reindeer. I finally decided on the Rudolph present. I opened it and found a little voice recorder thing with a picture of Casey in it. How strange, I thought. I saw the play button and decided to push it. I still hadn't picked up on any of the signs. And here I thought I would know for sure when the moment would come. So after I pushed play I heard, "Ashlee babe, I love you. Will you marry me?" I was in shock. Then Casey has this ring in his hand. My brain still hadn't processed what was happening. Of course I said yes. Later I learned that it had been planned for awhile. Casey had even talked to my dad and mom already. Only a few people at the party knew what was going to happen so some were just as shocked as I was. Needless to say, he totally surprised me. I've always prided myself on my ability to pick up on little details and read people. I still give Casey crap for asking me in front of his family. There were even a few cousins there...people I had only seen a few times before. I told him earlier in our dating life that my only request was that it was in private with no one around. He claims he didn't know that. But I forgave him for that and we lived (are living) happily ever after. Hope you enjoyed my story. Stay tuned for my next post, "Mullets: Why?"

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love those kind of stories! So, how did you two meet?

Casey said...

If I remember right a few weeks prior to this "one of the best days in history" we had gotten into a huge fight and we almost called it quits! I can't recall what the fight was about or how we worked it out but right after that we went shopping to Aarons Jewelery in Roy and she described how she would want her ring. A few days later I went back and told them to do the ring. Ash did not know that I did this and talked to her father and mother. I can still remember talking with them in their basement. I'm pretty sure they knew what I was gonna ask them when I called and asked if I could come to talk with them. I'm sure they were freaking out big time on the inside but they didn't show it to me!
I owe all of my success to Ash especially my career as a Police Officer! She was a big help with me going though the police academy. She also is the reason why I work in Syracuse! It is a good department and I love it.
Thanks Ash for all the blessings you have brought into my life. I love life and wouldn't want it any other way. I love my wife and two beautiful children!!!!

Ashlee said...

I was going to leave that part out. Thanks Case! Yeah, we had a discussion...it was over the direction our relationship was going. We were pretty serious at the time and needed to decide if we should get married or call it quits. We took a break (a few days) to pray and ponder what we should do. The next thing I know I have a ring on my finger and I'm planning a wedding.

Lisa said...

You guys are too funny. I am so glad you got married, RC Willey would not have been bearable if you weren't there.