Monday, May 12, 2008

A must see and a must try...

Most of you know my love of the TLC channel. I love their reality shows ("Jon and Kate" and "Little People.") I also love the shows they do on weird, amazing, crazy people. They did a series of shows once about people with large families. Since I come from a big family (oldest of eight) I'm somewhat intrigued by other large families. One such family is the Duggar's. I just found out that Momma Duggar announced last week that she's pregnant with her 18th child. Their youngest is 9 months old. You have to see this family. Click here to read about it. They announced their pregnancy on "The Today Show." I really don't know what to think about this family. The kids seem clean cut and well behaved. I've always said we would have as many children as we can afford. However, I think it's really important to spend quality time with each child individually. It will be interesting to see how each of them turn out and how being in a humongous family affected them, whether it's positively or negatively.

I also wanted to share a recipe I came across. Click here to see a picture. Will someone please make them and tell me what they think. They looks so yummy! Oh yeah, if you make them you have to bring me some...

Cookies and Cream Swirled Brownies
with Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache

1 box Brownie Mix (9x13 size)
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/3 Cup sugar
10 Oreo Cookies, broken into pieces
1 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 Tablespoons half and half

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and place into a 9x7 inch baking dish that has been lined with tin foil and sprayed with cooking spray. **I like a thicker brownie, so I use the smaller baking dish, but you can use the 9x13 inch size as well.**

2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in Oreo Cookie pieces until combined. Using a spoon, spoon cookies and cream mixture evenly over brownie mix. Using a knife, gently swirl cookies and cream into brownies without scraping the bottom of the dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center. Cool completely.

3. Place chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir in peanut butter and stir chocolate chips until smooth. Place back in the microwave for 15-30 more seconds if not smooth. Stir in half and half until glossy smooth, then spread over cooled brownies. Cut into squares and serve.

6 comments:

Becky said...

That recipe looks heavenly! I will definitly be making them sometime...hopefully soon. thanks for sharing.

Carlee Hoopes said...

Ok, so I am secretly obsessed with all the TLC specials as well. I love anything to do with the Duggars. For some reason I am intrigued by them, even though I can't figure them out. They seem really nice, but how can that be normal? 18 kids? When will they stop? It's all kind of weird for me, but I am drawn into watching anything about them. Thanks for sharing that link. I had not seen that or heard that they were having #18. I guess more power to them. As long as they can support them and the kids feel loved, I suppose that's great for them.

Also, I will be trying this recipe. Not sure when, but consider it done. I will share too! :) I'll let you know.

Carlee Hoopes said...

By the way, the Duggar mom's hair looked way better on the Today Show than it has for a long time. At least she's cutting back on her massive rainbow bangs...don't you think?

Ashlee said...

I thought the same thing about the hair! That's so funny. It's still a bit old-fashioned but much better than it has been.

Anonymous said...

Ash, that looks like a great recipe. I will have to try it sometime. i just want you to know I am so glad you told us to blog. I think it is great fun. Love ya

Anonymous said...

You had me hooked up until the peanut butter ganache