
I celebrated my birthday this week. Birthdays can be sort of depressing the older you get. Not much happens, you hope people remember, you hope someone surprises you with a present you weren't expecting. You learn to lower your expectations the older you get because birthday's are never as exciting as you hope they will be.
So here are a few life lessons I've learned in my first 25 years of life:
- I'm not as nice as I thought I was, or maybe I'm becoming less nice the older I get. If someone annoys me I do all I can to avoid speaking with them. When small talk with these people can't be avoided I use short answers and get out of the situation quickly. I don't like wasting time talking to people that bug me.
- Marriage is a work in progress. There is always room for improvement. If you ever stop working on your marriage, there will be problems. Small problems are only small to begin with, they eventually grow into big problems.
- Live away from home before you get married. I'm so happy with the way my life turned out, but if you have the opportunity to go away to school, do it! A few years of being on your own will help you learn and grow so you can be a better spouse in your future marriage.
- Having kids is a lot of work. This is a lesson I learned at an early age...being the oldest of eight children. However, being a mom is a whole lot harder than being a big sister. Having children is the most rewarding thing you'll ever do, but also the hardest. Make sure you're somewhat prepared for it. I don't think you can ever be fully prepared.
- The most important thing in a teenager's life is their friends. Do all you can to make sure your kids surround themselves by good people. I owe a lot of who I am today to my great friends. I pray that my kids will always have good friends.
- It doesn't matter what other people think of you. Be comfortable with who you are. I wish I had had more confidence and self esteem growing up.
5 comments:
Hey, those are some good observations about life. I hope you had a great birthday. I'm the horrible friend who forgets all my friends' birthdays until they're a few days past. I remembered yours on Wednesday. Sorry about that! Anyway, glad you made it to 25. I remember all too vividly how you were anticipating being 16 so badly. Hard to believe that was 9 years ago when we were all husband-less and kid-less! What did we have to complain about back then? Our lives were so easy. LOL.
Happy Birthday!!! You have learned a lot of great things in your 25years! Just think how much you'll be learning in the next 25!! Yikes! Hope you had a great day.
Happy Birthday! Great lessons! It's too bad that I seem to have to learn some of them over and over(you would think I would catch on by now)!
Oh to be 25 again...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Happy Birthday! We get to be 25 together for a couple of days and then I am leaving you for 26. Wow, 26 that seems so old pretty dang close to 30...
Post a Comment