Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My thoughts on...


Christmas in November.

I know the majority of people out there cringe to see Christmas decorations and hear Christmas music in November. How do I know this? Because I've been involved in many discussions on this subject with family and friends. So here's my thoughts on the subject...

A few years ago I was like the majority of people out there. I refused to listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. I was shocked to see store's put decorations up so soon. What about Thanksgiving?! ...I would here people say. And I agreed with them. And then one day it hit me, what's wrong with combining Christmas and Thanksgiving a little bit? The two holidays totally compliment each other.

Little by little I felt my views changing. I LOVE Christmas! I'm depressed a few weeks after Christmas is over. I LOVE Christmas music. I was raised listening to Christmas music all day everyday in December so I have a great appreciation for the 'classics' (The Beach Boys, Wilson-Phillips, Mannheim Steamroller, Mo Tab...just to name a few.) When I realized that I didn't need to despise the commercialization of Christmas I became a happier person. So what if stores put decorations up early, the decorations are beautiful and it makes me think of the happiest time of year.

Now some of you may still be saying, what about Thanksgiving?? I agree that this is an important holiday. But why can't we celebrate this holiday with a little Christmas mixed in too?
Now I'm not saying to go crazy the first of November with Christmas celebrations. I personally wait until after Thanksgiving to put up the tree, decorations, and turn the house lights on. I don't listen to the music all day long, only if I hear a song I really like on the radio. I don't feel truly Christmas-y until after Thanksgiving.

I'm only saying if you would like to be a happier person, stop hating Christmas in November and find the joy in anticipating the coming holiday. Christmas is truly the most magical time of the year, why not enjoy it a little early?

Oh, and stop dissing on 106.5 and 100.3. They have every right to play what they want. It's your choice to listen or not. They must get plenty of listeners or they wouldn't do it.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

I totally agree. Although it is hard to not get sick of some of the totally cheesy Christmas songs that they play way too often!

C and C Young said...

Totally agree here...Our house is all decked out already!

D'N K said...

I love christmas!!!! I already put christmas ringtones on my phone. I agree with you. It's gets so fun with kids. I wait to put decorations because derek wont let me until after thanksgiving, but If I had my way it would be up sooner

Carlee Hoopes said...

I agree! I could listen to Christmas music for months and I don't think it takes away from Thanksgiving at all!

And you're right, FM100 can play whatever they want...I just wish they would want to NOT play "Christmas Shoes." lol.

10zfam said...

i agree with you 100%. i love christmas and i too am depressed for a week after christmas

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

I think everyone loves Christmas. I agree with you though that people shouldn't get so upset over the stores putting stuff up earlier and earlier and the radios playing songs. If people didn't want it it would stop. It does seem kind of crazy to me but I love the season as well and don't let this stuff upset me. Besides when I start to think of all the things I "want" for Christmas it makes me grateful for all the things I do have so I can see how the two can work together. And as a random note, I also love Muddy Buddies....I just made a batch tonight because I was craving them!

Forbes Clan of Six said...

I agree. I isten to music months before Christmas. I figure we are giving thanks for both holidays so why not. If it was my way I would have all my Christmas stuff up now.

Anonymous said...

I MY GOODNESS ASHLEE! I READ THIS AND FELT LIKE I JUST HAD TO COMMENT! IN ALL CAPITALS NO LESS! THIS IS JUST THE MOST AMAZING BLOG ENTRY I'VE EVER READ!!! I MEAN CHRISTMAS MUSIC IN NOVEMBER?!?! THAT IS SO.....SOMETHING! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME ASH! COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!