Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Babe!

It was Casey's birthday yesterday. He received new pants and shoes, boring I know (sucks to have a December birthday, he definitely gets less B-day presents.) We ate at Maddox, love their turkey steak! It was a fun night. Thanks to my family for watching the kids.

Christmas memories:

Up until I was 8 or so, I remember visiting my Great-Grandma on Christmas Eve every year. It was not a very kid-friendly place. She had absolutely no toys in her house and glass decorations everywhere. We would sit for awhile and eventually she would give us our presents. They were mostly home-made items that she had crocheted. I have to admit it could be pretty disappointing as a child. But I treasure the time I was able to know her and we get a chuckle out of some of the gifts we received. My favorite: a crocheted sign that said "Beware of Dog." We didn't have a dog.

The first Christmas my family moved into our new house (I was 8) we didn't have a tree Christmas morning. We always had a real tree growing up and this year was no different. However, a few days before Christmas we had to get rid of our tree because it was dead and all the pine needles were falling off. It was so sad. So on Christmas morning we had no tree. After that year we purchased an artificial tree.

5 comments:

Kayla said...

I rememeber this Christmas too. I rememeber how hard it was to throw the Christmas tree away just before Christmas. I do miss a real Christmas tree but I never wanted that to happen again. I love reading your memories Ash. Love ya

Carlee Hoopes said...

Those memories are so...sad! :( lol.

Rob and Jill said...

Happy Birthday Casey!
My grandparents used to crochet us Christmas presents every year too. Some of them were great, like slippers, but some were... different. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Anonymous said...

And now we have a tree larger than a small house. Oh how far we've come.


Oh and happy birthday Case.

Zack said...

Happy B-Day Casey. I hope you enjoyed the butt whooping that the Steelers laid down on the Cowpokes. You couldn't ask for a better present.