
Scary, isn't it? They are HUGE! The doctor was pretty shocked. So we scheduled to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. **Sidenote: I was trying to take a good picture of her tonsils the day before but Emma ended yo taking the best picture all by herself. She's a pretty good photographer!**
I cancelled the surgery two different times because of different reasons, so when the day finally came I was pretty stressed out. Here's Emma in the waiting room, all smiles. She didn't really know what was going to happen. She was actually excited. We had to keep her calm or she would have been dragged kicking and screaming the whole way in.

More waiting...

Going off to surgery in the wagon. Two seconds before this picture she was almost in tears becuase I told her we couldn't come with her. But she still had a smile for the camera. I nervously watched the doctor take her away...not fun!

Post-op recovery room. Not a fun place. It was rough seeing her come out of surgery. Before surgery the nurse had asked her on a pain scale how she would feel after surgery. She pointed to a 0 with a smiley face. She really didn't know. Right before we got there the nurse had asked her again and she still pointed to the smiley face. What a silly girl! She definitely was NOT smiling. She did not like the IV. It was hard to watch her in pain.

After a few hours they let her have a popiscle. She had 3 of them.

A tired dad. We were there for five hours.

She finally zonked out 30 minutes before we were to leave. Love the purple popsicle lips!

We met my mom at Wendy's afterwards to pick up Cole. Me and Casey were starving. Emma was pretty out of it. She asked for a cheeseburger though. What?! The doctor said some kids will eat pizza right after so I ordered it. She was hesitant at first but then she ate the whole thing.
The recovery was so easy. I had planned on her being in tons of pain and not eating anything but she did so awesome. She kept eating anmd drinking. The mornings were hard for a few days but she slept fine. The worst part was trying to get her to take the medicine. She absolutely hates medicine!! We almost lost our minds trying to talk her into taking it 2-3 times a day.
I'm so glad it's over and she did so great. She will be able to sleep better now. It's much better to do it when she's 5 than when she's older. Thanks to everybody who gave her gifts to keep her busy.
5 comments:
Holy crap! You weren't kidding, those things ARE huge!!! When I clicked on the picture, I had the same reaction as your ENT and PA. Yikes. I'm glad the surgery and recovery went to well. Way to go Emma!
Wow I am impressed. When my 6 year old had hers out this past summer it was absolutely awful. Took her the full 2 weeks to recover. I am so glad Emma had a relatively easy recovery!!
My three older kids have had it done and I had mine out about 3 years ago...5 is a great age! We've done everything from 18 months to me (30)...it's amazing how fast they recover! Taylor was 3 and wanted potatoe chips right after...funny! So glad to hear she is doing well!!!
Amy B.
I am so glad she did so well! I probably scared you telling my story of when I got them out at 6! But it's always great to prepare for the worst and then be surprised by how much better it went then you expected!
Wow! I'm glad it went well. She's a little trooper.
Post a Comment