This post is about my recent weight loss. I used to post on a Work-out blog but since I don't do that anymore I decided to share my thoughts with all of you. I took a picture of my stomach to show all of you....Yeah, right! I'm no super model. I'm an average size woman and with an average BMI. In fact, I could lose another 15 pounds and still be considered average BMI for my height. I'm no light weight....but I am light-er than I used to be.
So, how did I do it. That is the question I'm asked. I can't point to one thing that I did. It's a lot of small things. So for any of you who were wondering, here are some things I learned so far on my weight-loss journey.
- I started exercising 5-6 days a week. I know that's hard for a lot of people to do. But if you make it a priority, then you will find the time. I may not watch any daytime TV anymore, or read as much as I used to (though I like to read while running on the treadmill) but I make sure to exercise almost every day. I run three days a week.
- Portion control. I am not on a diet, nor will I ever be. I love to bake. I love to eat. I kind of feel like I'm on weight watchers, but I don't count points. I try to save calories and eat less so I can have some dessert. I try to eat less dessert though. Just a few bites instead of a whole piece.
- I heard somewhere this piece of advice. Eat something small before you exercise. Your body will burn that food off first before it starts burning fat. Then don't eat for an hour after you work-out.
- I try not to eat after 7:00. I make sure I feel satisfied (meaning I've had a treat) then I tell myself, "No more eating, I'm done for the night."
- I drink water. I don't love to drink water though so I try to distract myself. I drink while I'm on the computer or watching TV. That way I do it without thinking about it. I always have water bottles in my fridge I can pull out and drink. I don't drink sugary drinks or soda's and I drink less milk. I think milk is very healthy and I love to drink it, but I limit myself to about three small glasses a day. I love milk but I don't want to drink my calories. I read today how bad pop is for you and how it causes weight gain.
- I weigh myself daily, at the same time, right before I shower. I don't get upset though. I just like to be aware of any gains I may have. I know that losing weight takes time so I don't get discouraged. I mostly just want to be aware so I don't gain weight without knowing it. And if I do show a gain in weight, I adjust my eating.
- I don't love vegetables. I like fruits but I would much rather eat a treat. But I try to eat more of these a day. I try to fill my plate with salads and veggies so I eat less of the main course. I buy good low fat dressings. I dip my carrots in low-fat ranch or fat-free sour cream mixed with a ranch packet. I make fruit smoothies with frozen berries, a banana, and some yogurt. I try to make them taste better than just eating them alone.
I know I could lose even more weight than I have, but I've reached a weight that my body seems comfortable at. So I'm choosing to be happy where I'm at. I think stress can affect weight loss so I don't want to stress anymore. I've come a long way and it feels good.
8 comments:
You really look great! I'm sure you feel great too. I'm so proud of you. I need to get more motivated -you're a great inspiration.
I used to drink a lot of juice. Sure it was a healthy 100% juice, but wow it has a lot of calories.
Well it is working for you - you look great. So after gaining the Freshman 15 and then losing some odd 30 lbs my sophomore year, I hated being asked what diet plan I was on to lose the weight. I guess it is not often that people do it the right way and on their own like you did. lol. I am trying to do the same things to lose the rest of the baby weight again - but mostly I need to control my love for all things baked. Could you send some of your will power to only eat a few bites my way please? Thank you.
Actually Megan, I just exercise my butt off so that I CAN eat more than a few bites. I've actually started baking healthier though. It's not to hard to decrease oil, butter, and eggs and find better substitutes. I even use whole wheat flour. And it still tastes good!
Hey babe, I'm sooo proud of you and what you have accomplished!!! (except for making me have the low fat pb, sour cream, ranch and all that other stuff.... j/k) You have always been at the top of my list and I have a feelin you will stay there for a long long time! Love you!!
Way to go to be so motivated. I have never been that motivated to exercise. I do however get at least an hours worth of walking in every day Jimmy has school now just taking him back and forth. And if they have him start full day (which he's supposed to after his actual birthday) then it will be 2 hours a day after taking him back and forth!
Yes, Jimmy knows a little Dutch...but really not much. He understands more than he speaks. Although I did hear him today say, "Nee, niet doen!" which basically means, "No, don't do that!" He picks up on the necessities first! I assume he will catch on even more quickly now since not only is church in Dutch but now school. Yep, he'll be giving me lessons soon!
I haven't seen you in a while but you look great in your photos. I am part of an exercise blog and I posted a few of your points on there because I thought they were good and things that each of us can do easily. I hope you don't mind but if you do, let me know and I'll take it down.
You are awesome. I loved all of the reminders. I definitely need to recommit!
Way to go. You look awesome! And you motivate me to try to be healthier...just after I eat some chocolate chip cookies...seriously! :)
Post a Comment