Monday, April 12, 2010

Learning from others

I've been a parent for 5 years and 8 months. In that time I can say I've made some improvements. But parenting is really hard. I have a LONG road to improvement on my journey through motherhood. It's a work in progress. That said, you may have heard of Richard and Linda Eyre. They are well-known for the skills they teach on building family relationships. Their daughter Shawni has a blog: 71 Toes.

And even though her life is a lot different than mine and she can be a little "too perfect" at times. I'm learning some good ideas about raising kids from her. One idea I really liked is this post:

Talents

Right now my trials in motherhood include...

Potty training Cole. After taking a break this weekend (I was stressed about life and needed to eliminate something) I'm ready to start again. If he could only figure out #2!

Emma talking back. Boy is this driving me crazy! I hear "no" from her all day long. So we started a "Nice jar." We put a puff ball in the jar for good behavior. When she fills the jar she gets a reward. It didn't work yesterday so I was discouraged. But so far today it's worked like a charm.

4 comments:

Jenn's Notes said...

We are having the same problems at our house...I always wonder if other kids act the same way mine do...and the answer is yes..so don't stress to much...at least that's what I tell myself all the time.

Anonymous said...

Good ideas Ash. Your doing a great job! Love ya,Mom

Mandy said...

I'm glad it isn't just me that is looking for ways to improve my and my child's behavior! I think the librarian knows what I've been going through based on the books I've been checking out lately!! Thanks for the link to the blog, I will definitely check it out.

Karlene said...

I wish she was blogging when my kids were little! But I love her blog anyway and I can still use her ideas. There is a link to her parents blog "Eyrerealm" (from there you go to their value parenting blog) Good help on raising kids!